Little Monsters (1989) (Blu-ray Review)
Directed By: Richard Greenberg
Starring: Fred Savage, Howie Mandel, Daniel Stern
Rated: PG/Region A/1.80/1080p/Number of Discs 1
Available from Vestron Video/Lionsgate Films
Brian (Fred Savage) isn’t scared of the monster living under the bed. On the contrary, when he gets to know the wild-eyed boogeyman, Maurice (Howie Mandel), the pair become fast friends. During the night, Maurice takes his young charge into the netherworld of monsters, where they have a great time making mischief in the lives of sleeping children. But Brian’s opinion of Maurice and his freewheeling lifestyle changes when he discovers that he himself is turning into a monster.
My experience with Little Monsters started as a kid when I rented the VHS at the local video store. Having seen it now for the first time since then I will admit it had a lot more spooky stuff going on it than I remembered. For a movie that is basically a kid’s movie, it packs a lot of visuals and moments that are a bit more mature than you’d think and packs effects and make-up jobs in it that any horror fan can enjoy and appreciate. Starring Fred Savage when he was in his peak and a very energetic Howie Mandel in the role of our lead monster Maurice the movie just ends up being fun above all else. We have a kid who is smart enough to catch a monster under his bed, so he starts hanging out with said monster, but as we soon learn that comes with some consequences that could end up with the kid becoming a monster himself. It’s a little typical, but still good.
Lionsgate’s Vestron line returned with Shivers and this old school flick in a big way. If you take a look at the list of extras below you will see that they really brought the goods with lots of new stuff to keep you busy if you want to dive even more into this cult childhood favorite. We have an audio commentary as well as lots of interviews to round out the new stuff. We even have some vintage things as well that get into the make-up and such. Which, by the way, the make-up part of Little Monsters is one of the best parts of it. The transfer here is solid and looks good. The movie is fun and harmless. Top that all off with the price for it and you can’t pass up a chance to own this one even if you haven’t seen it before.
- NEW Audio Commentary with Jarret Gahan, Editor-in-Chief of CultofMonster.com
- NEW Isolated Score Selections and Audio Interview with Composer David Newman
- NEW “Call Him Maurice” – An Interview with Actor Howie Mandel
- NEW “Beneath the Bed” – An Interview with Producer Andrew Licht
- NEW “Monsters Big & Small” – An Interview with Special Makeup Effects Creator Robert Short
- NEW Vintage Interviews with Actors Fred Savage, Ben Savage, Special Makeup Effects Creator Robert Short, and Director Richard Alan Greenberg
- Behind-the-Scenes Footage
- “Making Maurice” Vintage Footage of Howie Mandel’s Makeup Transformation Vintage EPK & VHS Promo
- Theatrical Trailer
- Still Gallery
Quality of Transfer: 92%